EPISODE 430: Is Personality Permanent?
Have you ever taken an online personality test? Myers-Briggs, Kolbe or the “Big 5”? If you have, you no-doubt read the results with both pleasure and unease. Am I really a pushover? Am I more neurotic than most? It’s true past behavior is probably the best predictor of your future self – but it doesn’t have to be.
The guest psychologist on this week’s show dispels the myth that personality is fixed and unchangeable, and suggests strategies for creating a new future for who you are, personality-wise, that is not bound by the past.
Listen in to learn:
- Why proception, the ability to dream and plan for the future, even future emotional states, is a huge part of what makes us uniquely human
- How to measure the gain (not the gap) from who you were and who you are
- How to look for past evidence of who you’d like to be not evidence of the smaller you
- The importance of a growth vs fixed mindset
Links & Resources:
ABOUT OUR GUEST
Dr. Benjamin Hardy is an organizational psychologist and author of Willpower Doesn’t Work and Personality Isn’t Permanent. He has been featured on Forbes, Fortune, CNBC, Cheddar, and Big Think.
Nutritional Tip of the Week:
- Vit D & Covid
Like the Show?
- Leave us a Review on iTunes