EPISODE 366: How God (and Big Ideas) Change Your Brain
Whether you’re a devout believer or a staunch atheist, the research is clear: prayer works. Here’s what also works: introspective time, mindfulness, positive focus, and big ideas. Science has proven that your brain physically changes through the regular practice of prayer, meditation, and mindfulness, and the changes can happen in as little as six to eight weeks. Our guest on this week’s show has dedicated his life to the study of positive neural changes through prayer and spiritual practices, and his discoveries will surprise you.
What You’ll Learn:
- The three-yawn technique for instant mindfulness
- How prayer, meditation, and mindfulness can change your brain
- Why these positive benefits have nothing to do with the existence (or nonexistence) of God
- How chanting, singing, and spiritual experiences are only valuable if there is time afterward to integrate and reflect on the experience
ABOUT OUR GUEST
Mark Robert Waldman is Executive MBA Faculty at Loyola Marymount University. He teaches the NeuroLeadership program. He is the author of 14 books including Words Can Change Your Brain and How God Changes Your Brain. He has been featured on PBS, National Public Radio, Canadian National Television, Oprah and Friends, and in dozens of national magazines. He is also on the faculty of Holmes Institute.
Nutritional Tip of the Week:
- Artificial Sweeteners Any Good
Links & Resources:
Like the Show?
- Leave us a Review on iTunes