EPISODE 308: Eating for Brain Power
Most health and diet books focus on reducing your waistline but neglect the most “mission critical” part of your entire body: your brain. The 3 lbs, watery, fatty mass between your ears needs to be fed well and cared for, but most people don’t give brain health the attention it deserves.
Meet Dr. Lisa Mosconi, neuroscientist and author, and learn how your brain health can be dramatically influenced by food and lifestyle.
What You’ll Learn:
- Why your body can survive on many foods, but your brain is much more picky
- The importance of essential fatty acids for brain health
- Why the brain’s saturated fat and cholesterol is created by the brain and stored in the brain from childhood—not affected by diet
- Why too much Omega-6 from seed oils is a problem for inflammation
- Why a 2:1 ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 is ideal (while most people get 20+:1)
- Why we need around 4 grams of omega-3’s per day
- Why the brain needs glucose for neuron synthesis and balance
- Why alcohol enters the brain and dehydrates your brain
ABOUT THE GUEST
Dr. Mosconi holds a PhD degree in Neuroscience and Nuclear Medicine, and is a certified Integrative Nutritionist and holistic healthcare practitioner. She is the Associate Director of the Alzheimer’s Prevention Clinic at Weill Cornell Medical College (WCMC)/NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital.
She is an adjunct faculty member at NYU and the University of Florence. Dr. Mosconi has published over 100 peer-reviewed papers in medical journals. Her new book, Brain Food: the Surprising Science of Eating for Cognitive Power we’ll talk about today.
Links & References from the Show:
Like the Show?
- Leave us a Review on iTunes
Thanks to Our Sponsor:
SeatGeek – Buying tickets can be complicated and confusing, but there is a better way to buy – with SeatGeek. SeatGeek is the smartest, easiest way to get tickets to every type of live event. Whether you’re searching for a last minute deal, planning a night out with friends, or need to find the perfect gift, SeatGeek helps you find the best seats at the best prices – fully guaranteed.
Just download the SeatGeek app and enter promo code ‘YOGA’ today. That’s promo code ‘YOGA’ for $20 off your first SeatGeek purchase.