EPISODE 288: Why We’re Depressed & What to Do About It?
with James S. Gordon
Prefer to download? Download
I’ve spent most my career researching, studying and teaching physical health and wellness only to realize that mental health is the big elephant in the room. In many cases, diet and exercise help, of course; but depression, anxiety and trauma wounds can dig so deep that a more comprehensive, mind-body approach to healing is needed.
On this week’s Yoga Talk Show, you’ll meet a pioneer in Mind-Body Medicine who has worked with everyone from war-torn refugees to leaders of state. His insights into the mental health pandemic will help you and those you love better manage emotional challenges.
What You’ll Learn:
- 15% of the adult population has clinical depression
- Why some depression is reactionary and totally expected while chronic or clinical depression persists past reasonable triggers
- How something as simple as a nutritional deficiency in vitamin D or omega-3’s can trigger depression
- When does empathetic behavior become enabling behavior for depressive tendencies?
- 3 types of meditation: concentration, mindfulness, and expressive
ABOUT OUR GUEST
James S. Gordon, MD, a Harvard educated psychiatrist, is a world-renowned expert in using mind-body medicine to heal depression, anxiety, and psychological trauma. He is the Founder and Executive Director of The Center for Mind-Body Medicine and a Clinical Professor in the Departments of Psychiatry and Family Medicine at Georgetown Medical School.
Dr. Gordon served as the first Chairman of the Program Advisory Council to NIH’s Office of Alternative Medicine and as Chairman of the White House Commission on Complementary and Alternative Medicine Policy under Presidents Clinton and G.W. Bush. He is the author of, Unstuck: Your Guide to the Seven-Stage Journey Out of Depression
Links & Resources:
Like the Show?
- Leave us a Review on iTunes
Thanks to Our Sponsor:
Health I.Q. — Yoga Podcast is sponsored by Health IQ, an insurance company that helps health conscious people like runners, cyclist, weightlifters and vegetarians get lower rates on their life insurance. To see if you qualify, get your free quote today at healthiq.com/yoga or mention the promo code YOGA when you talk to a Health IQ agent.