EPISODE 273: Discover Wild Food & Weeds
with Brett Mayette
Prefer to download? Download
It’s easy to get excited about the newly-imported Brazilian berry with crazy-high antioxidant levels; but what about the weeds and wild foods growing your backyard? When it comes to micronutrients, the simple rule “fresh is best” usually wins, and no matter where you live, there is a ridiculous amount of wild food available that is so nutritionally-superior to anything in the grocery store, some of it is even considered medicine. On this week’s show, we’ll talk about how to get started with wild foods and weeds.
What You’ll Learn:
- Why you should start with dandelion leaves
- The difference between a decoction vs. infusion
- Why Japanese knotweed is better than red wine for resveratrol
- Purslane: much better source for Omega-3’s than flax or chia
- Lambsquarter: super potent superfood
- Why Russian autumn olives are an amazing wild berry
- Why comfrey can be amazing for healing injuries (topically and even orally)
- Nettles: how to use for tea and nutrition
ABOUT OUR GUEST
Brett Mayette is a passionate cook, organic grower, forager, and herbalist for over 20 years. He is the founder of, Conscious Cuisine, designed to help you discover and incorporate the wonders of wild plants into your life – without being a professional chef or even a nutrition expert.
Links & Resources:
Like the Show?
- Leave us a Review on iTunes
Thanks to Our Sponsor:
Trapeze Teacher Training — For passionate yoga students who love inversion yoga, this is an exciting opportunity to train with YOGABODY, the leading educator and manufacturer of inversion slings worldwide. The Yoga Trapeze® is the most-popular yoga inversion sling ever with over 100,000 students in 81 countries. Despite the ever-growing demand, there are hardly any professional instructors—until now.
We’re now accepting applications for The Yoga Trapeze® Certification course where you’ll learn how to teach both group and private lessons for beginning and intermediate students.