EPISODE 272: Unlocking the Secrets of Fascia
with Tom Myers
Prefer to download? Download
Did you know that your muscles would be a bloody pile of melted, soft-serve ice cream if not for fascia? This web of connective tissues literally hold your body together—and most of us aren’t really even sure how to pronounce the word! On this week’s Yoga Talk Show, you’ll meet the king of fascia research and teaching, Tom Myers.
What You’ll Learn:
- How this plastic-wrap-like tissue holds your entire body together
- How low circulation tissues like fascia, cartilage, tendons and ligaments can heal through seepage and synovial fluids
- Why stressing tendons and ligaments can make them stronger
- Why a skilled body worker is more important than the type of bodywork you receive
- The 3 main types of bodywork: relaxation massage, therapeutic massage, and integrative massage
- Potential healing aims of bodywork: increase inflammation response, reduce electrical (nerve) activity to an area, or improve circulation
ABOUT OUR GUEST
Tom Myers is the author of Anatomy Trains, the co-author of Fascial Release for Structural Balance, and numerous articles for trade magazines and journals that have been collected in the books Body3, The Anatomist’s Corner, and Structural Integration: Collected Articles. He has also produced over 15 DVDs and numerous webinars on visual assessment, Fascial Release Technique, and the applications of fascial research.
- Decaf Coffee
Links & Resources:
Like the Show?
- Leave us a Review on iTunes
Thanks to Our Sponsor:
Bamboo Handstand Blocks — Want to Learn Handstand or Improve Your Hand Balancing Practice? Most people think that handstand involves putting your hand flat on the floor and simply pushing down—but that’s not right! Check out photos of people doing handstands, and you’ll see that the more advanced students “grip” the floor using their hand like a claw. Your fingers form arches and your palms forms a dome, and you create a dynamic, muscle and bone support structure for your entire body to balance on.
The Bamboo Handstand Blocks by YOGABODY were designed for our professional yoga studios in Barcelona, so they are beautiful, durable, easy-to-clean, safe, and natural. Yoga students have used standard yoga blocks for years, but these blocks are completely different: they are smaller, stronger, non-slip, easy-to-clean, and designed specifically to build grip strength for inversions.