EPISODE 252: Can Ice & Cold Heal Your Body & Mind?
with Scott Carney
Prefer to download? Download
If given the opportunity, would you climb Mt. Kilamanjaro in nothing but your shorts and sneakers? Would you trust a stuntman-turned-breathing guru with you life? On this week’s Yoga Talk Show, you’ll meet a guy who did just that—and survived to write a book about it. The guy is Scott Carney, and his teacher is former YTS guest, Wim Hof. This is a wild and somewhat reckless tale, but it’ll inspire you to push the limits of your own comfort zone, your imagined physical limitations, and perhaps live a more inspired life.
What You’ll Learn:
- How Wim Hof breathing is very similar to the drug, Diamox, used by high altitude climbers to speed up respiration
- Why we’ve become too comfortable, too spoiled, and too numb to the world around us
- How cold exposure and controlled hyperventilation (used intelligently) can be a powerful part of a healing regime
- How our guest managed to summit Kilamanjaro in nothing but sneakers and a pair of shorts
ABOUT OUR GUEST
Scott Carney is an investigative journalist and anthropologist. He is a senior fellow at the Schuster Institute for Investigative Journalism and a Scripps Fellow at the Center for Environmental Journalism in Boulder, Colorado.
What Doesn’t Kill Us is his most recent book; other works include The Red Market and A Death on Diamond Mountain. Scott was a contributing editor at Wired for five years and his writing also appears in Mother Jones, Men’s Journal, Playboy, Foreign Policy, Discover, Outside and Fast Company.
- Cook vs Raw
Links & Resources:
- Rhonda Patrick on cold therapy
- Bohr Effect (acid/alkaline of the blood)
- Scott’s Site
- What Doesn’t Kill Us (book)
Like the Show?
- Leave us a Review on iTunes
Thanks to Our Sponsor:
Teacher Trapeze Training — We’re now accepting applications for The Yoga Trapeze® Certification course where you’ll learn how to teach both group and private lessons for beginning and intermediate students.
For passionate yoga students who love inversion yoga, this is an exciting opportunity to train with YOGABODY, the leading educator and manufacturer of inversion slings worldwide. The Yoga Trapeze® is the most-popular yoga inversion sling ever with over 100,000 students in 81 countries. Despite the ever-growing demand, there are hardly any professional instructors—until now.