EPISODE 250: Breathing: a Forgotten Art Rediscovered
In almost every yoga class, the teacher will emphasize the importance of breath—but what does that really mean and why does it matter? If you ask, you’ll likely hear that you’re adding oxygen to your blood or improving your circulation. But is that true? It turns out that yoga teachers who encourage their students to increase their breathing volume during rest will actually reduce oxygen delivery to the tissues. To add to this paradox, more CO2 is actually a good thing and results in more oxygen to the cells. Ideally, one should never hear breathing during yoga practice. With breathing, less is more.
Listen in to learn:
- Why C02 is actually your friend
- How C02 relaxes muscle tissue (great for stretching)
- Why nose breathing encourages diaphragmatic breathing, increases NO2, and arterial oxygen uptake
- How reduced breathing increased saliva in the mouth, a sign of parasympathetic nervous system dominance and higher CO2
- Why 30% of population has Rhinitis and how reduced breathing can help
- How reduced breathing impacts your spleen (yes, your spleen!)
Links & Resources:
- The Oxygen Advantage Website
- The Psychology and Physiology of Breathing (book)
- The Bohr Effect
- Who is Konstantin Buteyko?
ABOUT OUR GUEST
Patrick completed his clinical training in the Buteyko Breathing Method at the Buteyko Clinic, Moscow, Russia, a training accredited by Professor Konstantin Buteyko himself.
Patrick suffered from asthma as a kid and discovered the Buteyko Method at the age of 26 and has been asthma-free since then, a feat that over 20 years of medication had failed to accomplish. In a career spanning 15 years, Patrick has since also become a bestselling author and expert on the topic of optimal breathing for improved health, well-being and fitness. Among the eight books Patrick has written, two have consistently remained in the top ten best sellers on Amazon.com:
He is the author of 3 books: Close Your Mouth, Asthma Free Naturally, and The Oxygen Advantage®.
Nutritional Tip of the Week:
- Water filters
Like the Show?
- Leave us a Review on iTunes