EPISODE 234: Love Your Brain Yoga
The World Health Organization estimates that traumatic brain injuries will be the 3rd leading cause of death and disability by 2020, but many people are still unaware of this condition impacting millions every year.
On this week’s Yoga Talk Show, you’ll meet, Kyla Pearce, a teacher that uses the mind-body healing power of yoga to help people with traumatic brain injuries rewire neuromuscular connections, improve concentration and focus, and find a supportive community for growth.
Listen in to learn:
- Why any blow or jolt to the head that leads to some disruption of brain function is technically a TBI
- 2.5 million people per year in the U.S. have reported TBI’s
- World Health Organization predicts TBI will be 3rd leading cause of death and disability by 2020
- How yoga can work on strength and coordination
- How you can rebuild neuromuscular connection, improve concentration & focus
- How it can provide emotional support, social integration & community
- Why poses that impact blood pressure and poses that put weight on the head and neck might be contraindicated and should be taught with care
Links & Resources:
ABOUT OUR GUEST
Love Your Brain is a non-profit organization founded after professional snowboarder, Kevin Pearce, suffered a near fatal traumatic brain injury while training for the 2010 winter Olympics. Kevin’s story of healing inspired millions through the HBO documentary, The Crash Reel. This experience brought to light the significance and prevalence of TBI on a global scale. Love Your Brain is a non-profit that aims to improve the quality of life of people affected by TBI—everything from concussion to severe injury—through programs that build community… including yoga.
Nutritional Tip of the Week:
- Dried Fruit
Like the Show?
- Leave us a Review on iTunes