EPISODE 230: Don’t Believe in Vitamins? Listen to this…
Many health fanatics claim that they, “don’t believe in supplements,” as if micronutrients were a belief system or a religion—but they are not. They are foundational to our health, an essential part of our biology; and for better or worse, insufficiency and deficiencies have been part of the human experience for as long as we’ve been on earth. Nutritional balance is an exception, not the rule, so if you ignore your own micronutrients and ignore the rampant deficiencies today, you do so at your own risk.
On this week’s Yoga Talk Show, I share my own research and experiences with some of the most-common vitamin and mineral deficiencies along with simple strategies for testing and correcting them. While not definitive, this is a great starting point for testing, tracking, and taking responsibility for own health.
Listen in to learn:
- Why almost everyone is deficient in Vitamin D
- How iron deficiency impacts billions of people, and yes, in the developed world too
- Why essential fatty acids (EFA’s) are “essential” and where to get them
- Why is not how much you eat or take, but how much you absorb that matters
- The innate challenges of a food system based on chicken, pigs, cows, corn, soy, wheat, and rice
Links & Resources:
Key Questions About Supplements:
- How do you feel after taking them?
- Are there weird additives in your supplements? Can you avoid them?
- Are there food sources for these nutrients that you prefer?
- Are these supplements sustainable?
Nutritional Tip of the Week:
Like the Show?
- Leave us a Review on iTunes