EPISODE 213: Minimal Footwear for the Modern Yoga Student
Yoga students invest hours on functional flexibility, strength, and mobility, but the moment they leave the studio, most lace up restrictive footwear. Modern shoes squish your toes, damage your arches, and contribute to dysfunctional movement patterns leading to chronic pain and injury upstream including: knee pain, back and hip pain.
The solution? You need to learn about minimal shoes. On this week’s Yoga Talk Show, Lucas meets with Steve Perna of Lems Shoes, a niche manufacturer and innovator in the minimal footwear scene to learn about the why and the how behind this type of shoe.
Listen in to learn:
- What the terms “zero drop” and a “wide toe box” mean, and why you should insist on them in your shoes
- Why you might need to transition into minimal footwear starting with just a couple hours of use per day
- Why it’s normal to experience some foot pain during your transition to minimal
- Why your walking and running gate might feel goofy at first
Links & Resources:
ABOUT OUR GUEST
Steve Perna is one of the early team members at Boulder, Colorado-based Lems Shoes, and currently heads up wholesale distribution. Lems Shows was founded in 2011 and creates YOGABODY-recommended active, office, and casual footwear.
Nutritional Tip of the Week:
- How much salt is too much?
Like the Show?
- Leave us a Review on iTunes