EPISODE 205: Happiness vs. Intelligence
Most people claim “happiness” is one of their top priorities in life, but how many of us really take time to define what that means? Is it free time? Is it friends and family? Is it financial success? Humans have evolved with a brain hard-wired to avoid danger and threats to our personal safety above all else, but that is not the ideal mental model for a fulfilled life most would define as happy. For many people, their ideal of happiness goes against much of their hard-wired tendencies, so to achieve it, it requires serious thought, hard work, and deliberate lifestyle design.
On this week’s Yoga Talk Show, we deep dive into the fascinating world of the placebo effect and it’s everpresent role in both allopathic and alternative medicine.
Please meet, Jo Marchant, an award-winning science journalist and author. With a background in genetics and a PhD in microbiology, Marchant worked as an editor at New Scientist and Nature. She explores topics from the future of genetic engineering to underwater archaeology, and most recently, the idea that our thoughts can have great benefits on our bodies and even prevent us from getting ill on the first place. Marchant is the author of The Shadow King: The Bizarre Afterlife of King Tut’s Mummy, Decoding the Heavens, and Cure: A Journey into the Science of Mind Over Body.
What You’ll Learn:
- How the placebo effect is always at place in healing
- Why sometimes mind over body is stronger than any modern medicine
- How to think about healing from both a scientific and energetic viewpoint
- Why your body’s healing mechanisms are much more complicated than simple chemistry
Nutritional Tip of the Week:
- Do we need to take Vit D supplements?
Links & References from the Show:
Like the Show?
- Leave us a Review on iTunes
Thanks to our sponsor:
Here is what you get:
- A 50 hour course delivered in two forms – virtual e-learning and in person practice/teaching
- 25 hours are virtual e-learning, where you learn anatomy, physiology, everything you need to know as a Yoga Teacher
- 25 hours are in person – practice, teaching, setup and class organization everything you need to lead a 60 min Yoga Trapeze® Class
- Groups of up to 20 people
Now accepting applications: www.YogaTeachersCollege.com