EPISODE 204: Magic Mushroom Medicine
We´ve been talking about the Future of Food and what our main food sources will be as the population increases, are mushrooms one of them? Are they important and can they benefit our health and well being when used as more than a staple food?
On this week´s Yoga Talk Show, you will meet Jeff Chilton and we will discover the surprising nutritional facts and health benefits of mushrooms. Who knew that they are not just a pizza topping!
Listen in to learn:
- Why you should be eating shiitake mushrooms regularly
- Why mushroom mycelium (rather than fruiting body) is not a great source for food or nutrition
- How poor quality supplements can be high in grains and starch
- How to test for starch in your mushroom products with iodine
- Why “made in USA” is the worst choice
- Why the majority of all mushrooms are grown in China—and certainly the best ones
- How to grow your mushrooms in dark spaces, light spaces, tree cuttings, and more
Links & Resources:
ABOUT OUR GUEST
Jeff Chilton studied ethno-mycology at the University of Washington and began working on a commercial mushroom farm in 1973—and mushrooms have been the focus of his career ever since. During the next 10 years he became the production manager, responsible for the cultivation of over 2 million pounds of agaricus mushrooms per year. He was also involved in the research and development of shiitake, oyster and enoki mushrooms which resulted in the earliest US fresh shiitake sales in 1978.
His current company, Nammex, was founded in 1989 and produces source material for medicinal-grade nutritional formulas.
Yoga Practice Tip of the Week:
- Flexibility Training
Like the Show?
- Leave us a Review on iTunes