EPISODE 365: Birth Control Pill – Risk vs Reward
Many women start hormonal birth control in their teens and continue for years or even decades. This can be a responsible decision, but most people don’t realize the long-term side effects and risks including infertility, reduced libido, weight gain, and even mood disorders. With all things birth control, there is no one-size-fits-all solution, but throwing a pill at the issue without weighing the options is surely a bad idea. On this week’s show, you’ll meet Dr. Jolene Brighten, a women’s hormone specialist who will help you make an informed decision about what’s right for you.
What You’ll Learn:
- How the Fertility Awareness Methods (FAMs) can be just as effective as hormonal options
- Why the pill contributes to increased miscarriage rates and infertility later
- How the pill can cause adrenal and thyroid problems
- Why IUDs are back, and why you might try this old-school method
- How the pill is often misused to treat irregular periods, PCOS, PMS, and acne
ABOUT OUR GUEST
Dr. Jolene Brighten is a functional naturopathic medical doctor who focuses on women’s endocrine health. She’s an expert in Post-Birth Control Syndrome and the long-term side effects associated with hormonal contraceptives.
Nutritional Tip of the Week:
- Yerba mate
Links & Resources:
Like the Show?
- Leave us a Review on iTunes