EPISODE 211: Lucid Dream Yoga
with Andrew Holecek
Prefer to download? Download
We spend a third of our lives asleep, but most people treat sleep and dream states like second rate citizens of consciousness, always given the back seat to waking states. On this week’s Yoga Talk Show, you’ll learn how yoga and mindful sleep go hand-in-hand, and why serious yoga students should learn to zonk out like a pro.
Andrew Holecek is an author, spiritual teacher, and humanitarian. As a long-time student of Buddhism that he teaches with a contemporary perspective – blending the ancient wisdom of the East with modern knowledge from the West.
He is the author of three books, The Power and the Pain: Transforming Spiritual Hardship into Joy, Preparing to Die: Practical Advice and Spiritual Wisdom from the Tibetan Buddhist Perspective, and Dream Yoga: The Tibetan Path of Awakening Through Lucid Dreaming.
What You’ll Learn:
- How your diurnal practices (waking state) set the stage for good or poor sleep
- Why you need to develop a lucid relationship to your waking consciousness before you’ll be able to consistently lucid dream
- How to appreciate and nurture hypnagogic (just before sleep) and hypnopompic (just before waking) states
- How napping can be a great way to induce lucid dreams
- How to Have Wake Induced Lucid Dreams (WILDs)
- How “dreamlets” of 10 seconds or also very powerful
- Best practices for sleep hygiene: stone-cold sober, clean, empty belly, mindful/meditation/prayer/gratitude practice, darkroom, no screen time, lie on right side (sleeping lion mudra, same as Buddha death), galantamine supplement
- Why serious yoga students need to be careful not to become a “state junkie” hopping from one peak state experience to the next
Nutritional Tip of the Week:
- Do we need to take supplements?
Links & References from the Show:
- Write to us email@example.com
Thanks to our sponsor:
Your Best Year Ever!
This is a total immersion yoga retreat set in Barcelona. Your days will be filled with yoga practice, nutrition lectures, breathing workshops, posture clinics and outdoor adventures; and you’ll also have plenty of time each day to explore the beautiful city of Barcelona on your own or with your fellow students.