EPISODE 215: Where Are All the Guys in Yoga?
with Dean Pohlman
Prefer to download? Download
Many yoga teachers will tell you that their class is for everyone – all sizes, ages, backgrounds, and genders – and yet the actual students that turn up to class tell a different story. They tend to be a very similar group of people. In most parts of the world, women represent 70-90% of the yoga communities, and this puts off some men from starting, and it’s frustrating to some men who love the practice.
Where are all the guys in yoga?
In this week’s Yoga Talk Show we address the somewhat controversial topic of gender and fitness preferences.
About the Guest
Dean Pohlman founded Man Flow Yoga in college in order to promote yoga with guys. After experiencing huge benefits himself from yoga, he wanted to make the practice more accessible to men, athletes, and physical fitness-minded individuals. Dean took out the Sanskrit and the meditation and inserted terminology that is familiar to people with sports backgrounds. Instead of focusing on the more spiritual side of yoga, he focuses entirely on the physical aspects.
What You’ll Learn:
- How masculine people often prefer solo practice and feminine people often prefer group classes
- Why removing religious and spiritual undertones from yoga classes might be the best way to show respect for diversity
- How athletes can benefit from yoga and how yoga students can benefit from athleticism
- Why the future of yoga needs to be more inclusive
Nutritional Tip of the Week:
- Eating Essential Oils?
Links & References from the Show:
- Write to us firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks to our sponsor:
- Hot Yoga Teacher Training
“Teach Hot Yoga, Inspire Students, Change Lives!”
TAKE THE NEXT STEP!
Join Absolute Yoga’s 200-Hour Hot Yoga Alliance accredited course in beautiful Koh Samui, Thailand.
This training is for:
- Serious students who want to teach
- Passionate yoga practitioners
- Students who want to share hot yoga with the world
Extremely small class sizes, huge teaching team, dedicated training facility!
Next course starts in October!