EPISODE 267: Sleep Like a Baby
with Michael J. Breus
Prefer to download? Download
Poor sleep can cause hormonal imbalances, weight gain, impair your immune system, reduce your mental clarity, and contribute to dozens of other health problems. Sleep is a huge sticking point for your health, but most of us (including me) struggle with it—so what do we do to improve? Where do we even start?
This week’s guest shares his best research and tips for sleep hygiene, responsible use of sleep aids, common mistakes, and the best tech for a restful night sleep.
What You’ll Learn:
- How to use alcohol wisely for sleep quality
- The difference between sleep drive (adenosine pathway) and sleep rhythm (your circadian cycle)
- The importance of REM sleep for mental restoration and stage 3 & 4 sleep for physical restoration
- How you can dreams in any stage, but REM-phase is most-likely to produce dreams
- How REM is a very light state, indistinguishable for waking brain waves
- Why sleep apnea can lead to high blood pressure that is non-responsive to medication
- Why melatonin is a hormone and should be used with care, dosages are often way too high
- Why nobody with insomnia should not nap
ABOUT OUR GUEST
Michael J. Breus, Ph.D., is a Clinical Psychologist and both a Diplomate of the American Board of Sleep Medicine and a Fellow of The American Academy of Sleep Medicine. He was one of the youngest people to have passed the Board when he was just 31 years old.
With a specialty in Sleep Disorders, he is one of only 163 psychologists in the world with his credentials and distinction. Dr. Breus is on the clinical advisory board of The Dr. Oz Show and is a recurring guest on the show.
- Black Pepper
Links & Resources:
Like the Show?
- Leave us a Review on iTunes
Thanks to Our Sponsor:
- Yoga Business Mastery Podcast
Join yoga teacher, trainer and serial entrepreneur, Lucas Rockwood, as he delivers both tactical and strategic plans for building a teaching business, retaining clients, and earning a great living doing what you love. If you’re a yoga teacher, trainer, or studio owner, this insider information straight from the horse’s mouth is invaluable. Each show compresses months worth of real-world experience into a 15-minute, actionable episode.