EPISODE 234: Love Your Brain Yoga
with Kyla Pearce
Prefer to download? Download
The World Health Organization estimates that traumatic brain injuries will be the 3rd leading cause of death and disability by 2020, but many people are still unaware of this condition impacting millions every year.
On this week’s Yoga Talk Show, you’ll meet, Kyla Pearce, a teacher that uses the mind-body healing power of yoga to help people with traumatic brain injuries rewire neuromuscular connections, improve concentration and focus, and find a supportive community for growth.
Listen & Learn:
- Why any blow or jolt to the head that leads to some disruption of brain function is technically a TBI
- 2.5 million people per year in the U.S. have reported TBI’s
- World Health Organization predicts TBI will be 3rd leading cause of death and disability by 2020
- How yoga can work on strength and coordination
- How you can rebuild neuromuscular connection, improve concentration & focus
- How it can provide emotional support, social integration & community
- Why poses that impact blood pressure and poses that put weight on the head and neck might be contraindicated and should be taught with care
ABOUT OUR GUEST
Love Your Brain is a non-profit organization founded after professional snowboarder, Kevin Pearce, suffered a near fatal traumatic brain injury while training for the 2010 winter Olympics. Kevin’s story of healing inspired millions through the HBO documentary, The Crash Reel. This experience brought to light the significance and prevalence of TBI on a global scale. Love Your Brain is a non-profit that aims to improve the quality of life of people affected by TBI—everything from concussion to severe injury—through programs that build community… including yoga.
Links & Resources:
- Dried Fruit
Like the Show?
- Leave us a Review on iTunes: http://www.yogabody.com/reviews
Thanks to Our Sponsor:
San Diego Yoga Festival: over 100 classes led by 65 powerful healers and teachers featuring one of the oldest (92) and youngest (8) yoga teachers in the world!
Classes are held throughout Ocean Beach, San Diego, in the ironic hippy town right on the coast. There will be 1000 people doing yoga or learning how to do yoga this weekend, join us to make a movement for health and peace: beach Bonfires, surf and skate lessons, yoga with your dog, a huge wedding ceremony to yourself, body paint yoga, sound healing, reiki..the list is epic.
Learn more/buy your ticket: www.sandiegoyogafestival.com
Jan 27-30, 2017
Classes are held indoors at the coolest venues and outdoors on the beach, pier and sunset cliffs!
The founder of the yoga festival, Shawna Schenk, personally wants to give you $108 off your 1 day or 3 day ticket price!
Use Namastoked as a promo code at check in.