EPISODE 232: One Breath – Freediving & Beyond
with Adam Skolnick
Prefer to download? Download
Breathing has always been an integral part of yoga practices, but for many years, it was mostly forgotten or taught as an aside to asana practice. Just in the past few years, breathwork has come back into the mainstream bigger than ever before—and it’s extreme. From Holotropic breathwork to The Wim Hof Method to free divers and hypoxic training, it seems like breathing has never been more popular, and yet more misunderstood with sometimes disastrous results.
On this week’s show, you’ll meet author and free diving hobbyist, Adam Skolnick who chronicled the life of one of America’s most famous freedivers who tragically died in 2013.
Listen & Learn:
- Why people are dying in free diving
- How Adam became a travel writer to support his passion and interests
- How Adam learned to dive to 30 meters in just 4 days
- Why social media sometimes presents a “false reality” of what’s truly possible
- 6 competitive disciplines: static apnea, dynamic apnea (mono-fin swimming for distance without breathing), dynamic no fin, constant weight (with fin), constant weight (no fin), free immersion
ABOUT OUR GUEST
Adam Skolnick has written for the New York Times, Playboy, Outside, ESPN.com, BBC.com, Salon.com, Men’s Health, Wired, and Travel + Leisure, among others. He has visited 45 countries and authored or coauthored over 30 Lonely Planet guidebooks. ONE BREATH, his first narrative nonfiction book available now on amazon.com.
Links & Resources:
Like the Show?
- Leave us a Review on iTunes: http://www.yogabody.com/reviews
Thanks to Our Sponsor:
Designed for yoga students, athletes, office workers, and busy moms… the YOGABODY Flexibility Kit offers a step-by-step, five-day per week routine you can do before bed to systematically regain your functional flexibility. The kit includes nutritional support, yoga props, and all the educational materials you’ll need to get started.