EPISODE 213: Minimal Footwear for the Modern Yoga Student
with Steve Perna
Prefer to download? Download
Yoga students invest hours on functional flexibility, strength, and mobility, but the moment they leave the studio, most lace up restrictive footwear. Modern shoes squish your toes, damage your arches, and contribute to dysfunctional movement patterns leading to chronic pain and injury upstream including: knee pain, back and hip pain.
The solution? You need to learn about minimal shoes. On this week’s Yoga Talk Show, Lucas meets with Steve Perna of Lems Shoes, a niche manufacturer and innovator in the minimal footwear scene to learn about the why and the how behind this type of shoe.
Steve Perna is one of the early team members at Boulder, Colorado-based Lems Shoes, and currently heads up wholesale distribution. Lems Shows was founded in 2011 and creates YOGABODY-recommended active, office, and casual footwear.
What You’ll Learn:
- What the terms “zero drop” and a “wide toe box” mean, and why you should insist on them in your shoes
- Why you might need to transition into minimal footwear starting with just a couple hours of use per day
- Why it’s normal to experience some foot pain during your transition to minimal
- Why your walking and running gate might feel goofy at first
Nutritional Tip of the Week:
- How much salt is too much?
Links & References from the Show:
- Write to us [email protected]
Thanks to our sponsor:
This formula will naturally give your drink or smoothie a sweet taste without the sugar! Check out our ingredients, they’re awesome. All-natural, zero-calorie stevia in just the right amount gives this super mineral-dense powder it’s flavor.
For superfoods, we’ve got you covered with spirulina, barley grass juice extract, acerola, maca, chlorella, mesquite, rice bran, kelp, and stevia (for natural sweetness). Mix with water, blend with fruit, or stir into a green-chia gel, either way it tastes amazing!