EPISODE 208: Have Modern Mothers Lost Their Way?
with Kimberly Johnson
Prefer to download? Download
Kimberly Johnson is a yoga teacher trainer, Rolfer, women’s health care advocate, mother, and doula. Much of her most recent work focuses on postpartum care. She’s the author of the soon-to-be released book, The Fourth Trimester: A New Mother’s Guide to Healing Your Body, Balancing Your Emotions, and Restoring Your Vitality.
Motherhood is more complex than ever with women attempting to juggle career, family, and their own health often without the support of family or community that has been so much a part of the human experience up until recent times. To make things more challenging, pop-health images of pregnant moms with their baby bumps dead-lifting huge weight or doing handstands on the beach only add to the pressures on moms to try to be everything.
On this week’s Yoga Talk Show, Kimberly Johnson shares her personal and professional experience working with both expecting moms and new moms on their own health.
What You’ll Learn:
- Why WHO research suggests a 8-12% C-section rate to be appropriate while USA has 32% rate and countries like China and Brazil have rates as high as 80%
- Why postpartum care is practically non-existent
- How rest is the secret ingredient missing from pre and post-partum care
- How it came to be that non-mothers have become authorities on yoga for pregnancy
- Simple self-care and mindset shifts for mums-to-be and moms today
Yoga Practice Tip of the Week:
- How to: Box Splits
Links & References from the Show:
- Write to us firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks to our sponsor:
First Ever Yoga Trapeze Teachers Training Course in Barcelona!
The Yoga Teachers College combines new technology and age-old apprenticeship to deliver a level of education previously unavailable anywhere. We train students not just teach, but to become local business leaders in the mind-body wellness industry
Now accepting applications: www.YogaTeachersCollege.com