EPISODE 187: Salt, Sugar, Fat
Prefer to download? Download
Corporate giants like Coca-Cola, Kraft, and Kellogg’s dominate the food and beverage industries, but they are optimized for profit, not for our health. To make their foods more palatable and profitable, these companies strategically utilize specific combinations of salt, sugar and fat.
According to best-selling author, Michael Moss, these foods are not just unhealthy, they are also addicting. Listen to this week’s Yoga Talk Show to learn how “big food” has gotten us all hooked on their products.
Michael Moss is the author of the #1 New York Times bestseller, SALT SUGAR FAT: How the Food Giants Hooked Us. He’s a Pulitzer Prize-winning investigative reporter formerly with the Times. He’s a keynote speaker and has been a guest on CBS This Morning, Dr. Oz, CNN The Lead, ATC and Jon Stewart’s the Daily Show. He has been a reporter at The Wall Street Journal and an adjunct professor at the Columbia School of Journalism.
What You’ll Learn:
- The “bliss point” in commercial food—and what it matters
- Why big food refers to their clients as “heavy users”
- What “mouth feel” and “flavor burst” mean
- How the snack and convenience habits opened the door to industry abuse
- How the “Lunchables” inventor is now helping fresh salad vendor in Chicago
- How big companies self-subsidize and could shift their focus for big change
Nutritional Tip of the Week:
- Should you boil, steam or pan-fry your veggies?
Links & References from the Show:
- Write to us email@example.com
Thanks to our sponsor:
2-in-1 Yoga Strap and Mat carrier: This strap was originally developed for the YOGABODY Fitness Studio Group because our students wanted a simple mat carrier solution but they were already bringing yoga straps to class—so it seemed silly to have both. Hence, the Super Strap was born!
Yoga students use the Super Strap in Vinyasa Yoga practices, deep stretching Gravity Yoga sessions, and in advanced arm balancing and back-bending. A yoga strap is an essential yoga prop, and the Super Strap is a beautiful and practical addition to your practice room.